[bmw] Manual steering for E36?

Manual Steering For E36?

Did any E36 models come with manual steering?
Reason I ask in that the ps hose blew off the left front fitting from the steering rack, and I got to do some driving with no ps. Not much different from a manual steering convert I did on a old E30 autocrosser that was 700 pounds lighter. Old Bavaria's weigh more than an E36 and they has manual steering also.
All US E36 had ps but did some non-US market base model get a manual rack, or are optional manual racks available? (maybe Asian market cars that came with 3.73 rears?) Could an E30 rack be converted to fit an E36? ( is it maybe the same except for a part number difference?)
tia,

Barry