Re: [bmw] E34 Post-Accident advice

mkohlbrenner@domain.elided wrote:

And BTW, don't let the other person's insurance low-ball you
on their payout! This is definitely negotiable. Even the
salvage value might be negotiable, although I didn't bother
trying in my case. Good luck.

Yes, I'm hoping they my father's negotiation skills from being an attorney will help out there.

Since I just bought the car and put about $2000 of maintenance and parts into the car, could
I use any of that (I have all the paperwork) to try to get a slightly higher compensation? This is my
first accident involving another car, and my first interaction with another insurance, and, obviously,
I'd like to get as much out of it as I can, especially since right now I'm still making credit card payments
on the stuff I bought for the car, like 4 brand new tires, timing belt and main seal work, and stuff like that.

I don't know if insurance compensates for anything like that. Any experience out there?
Like I said, my insurance was liability only, but the other driver's insurance will be making the payout.

Also, the car is black with grey leather interior. Was in fantastic shape. Anything rear of the firewall should
still be in great condition. Forward of the firewall, however, is most likely useless. The rims may be okay, but the tires
are definitely shot from rolling forward with fender attached. The front end front of the firewall was reduced
by about a foot and a half, my guess is the engine and everything around it is shot. If I buy-back the car,
I'll let you guys know and have first dibs on parts.

Thanks,
Matt

P.S. I've got a stiff neck from the entire experience, anyone think I can use that?
P.P.S. I can vouch for the E34 durability. It definitely took a lot of force, since
I hit someone on the side at 45 miles an hour. I wish I had pictures...