[bmw] E30 Gas Smell and whirring sound

Hi all!

Well, the stable has grown a little bit.  I just acquired a 1990 325iX
with 200K on the car, 159K on the instrument cluster and 80K on the
engine.  I got it fairly cheap, but the previous own did NOT love this
car. (Reason for the new engine is that the timing belt broke). It was
used and abused.  I am trying to bring it back to life.  Car runs fine,
starts fine when cold but has a couple of problems that worry me.

On a full tank, there is a bad gas smell whenever you turn off the car
and get out of the vehicle.  Wife said that she saw a puddle of fluid on
the ground after a quick trip to the grocery store.  When the tank is
almost empty, then just a slight gas smell if it is noticeable at all.

Also only on a mid-full tank, when making a right hand turn (parking, or
sharp corner) a whirring, whining noise loud enough to be heard over the
radio occurs.  The same sound does not seem to happen when there is only
a little bit of gas left in the car.

When the car has just been started, or is warm, it takes a lot of cranks
for the car to start again.  When it does start, it is very timid at
first, then runs fine within seconds.

I am still waiting for my Bentley manual, so I don't have much to go on
right now.  Any ideas on what could be the problem?

Thanks!

Tristan

2002 X5 3.0i
1995 540i 6speed