[bmw] re: [Alarm remotes]

Garry,
I have a 1995 E34 525i.  My remote is a separate key
fob with three buttons.  The battery is replaceable.
IF it is the same type, reprogramming is simple.
Remove the back seat to get to the remote module (it
has a wire antenna on it)  Unbolt the unit to get to
its bottom side.  Open the small door on the bottom.
You will see a socket for the code chip similar to the
one in the key fob.  Remonve the chip from the fob and
place it in the module.  The socket should be gently
pulled apart to loosen the chip, and pushed back
together to secure the chip.  With the key in the
accessory position, push the black button adjacent to
the socket in the module for ten seconds.  Turn off
the key.  Transfer the chip back to the fob and close
up and remount the module.

If the remote is in the key like in my E39, there is a
different, easier procedure.  Let me know if that is
the case and I will point you to the procedure.

Dan Z
Annapolis, MD
E30 E34 E39
BMW CCA since '86