[bmw] E34 Coolant Level Sensor

In my new '90 525i, the only weird problem is that the coolant level sensor always causes a check light. The PO said he replaced the sensor, to no avail. I just got the coolant changed when the timing belt was replaced, so I know it's not low. Mechanic can find no coolant leaks, either. Any tips with this gremlin? Should I replace the sensor again myself, or are there other things I should check?

Thanks,
Matt Brannock
90 525i