Re: [bmw] Alutec wheels & Wheel Exchange

Mark,

I recently purchased a wheel & tire package from them for my 5er.   It was
between them and Tire Rack and the decision wasn't easy.  I purchased the
Rondell #72 wheels with Pirelli tires from Wheel Exchange because Tire
Rack didn't carry a wheel with the deep lip I wanted for my car.  I also
considered the Alutec M wheels for my car,  but the deep 3" lip of the
Rondell #72 won me over.   I purchased the package a week after
Thanksgiving '03 and I've been receiving nonstop compliments ever since.
The wheels and tires were shipped mounted and balanced and all I had to do
was unwrap them and slap them on with the new lug nuts they came with.
They also came with the BMW center caps.  Everything came fully wrapped
and protected with heavy cardboard, the same way Tire Rack ships their
products.  I dealt with Nathan at Wheel Exchange.  He was very
knowledgeable and addressed all of my concerns in going from stock 15" to
17" wheels.  He was patient with me and wasn't just trying to make the
sale.  I called on three separate occasions before finally deciding and I
made sure I dealt with Nathan when I placed my order to reward him for his
patience.   Around the time of purchase, I posted a question to the digest
about the importance and benefits of having a good torque wrench and I
received at least 20 responses, all saying a good one is invaluable. Turns
out everyone was right.  When my wheels and tires arrived, I had torque
wrench in hand and went to work.  Twenty minutes later, my car looked
totally different.  So my experience with the Wheel Exchange couldn't have
been better and I am very happy with my choice.

As a side note, a buddy of mine ordered wheels and tires for his '95 M3
three weeks ago from ACW (coolwheels.com) in California.  Here's how it
went:

Buddy:  I'd like to order wheel and tire package 'A' for my car
Salesman:  Sure, we have those in stock.  All I need is your credit card
information

A week later:

Buddy:  I'm calling to find out the status of my order
Salesman:  We'll have everything in stock next week and we'll ship the order out
to you

A week later:

Buddy:  I'm calling to find if my order has been shipped out yet
Salesman:  Uh, well uh....I'm not sure when we'll be receiving those wheels and
tires you wanted

So the conversation went from "we have them in stock...give us your money"
to "we'll have everything in stock next week" to "we don't  know when
we'll have them."   He is getting his money back from this shady company
and will take his business elsewhere.  I'm sure he'll look at the Wheel
Exchange also.

Gerry A. Phillips
BMWCCA  #157658
Peachtree Chapter