[bmw] e34 instrument cluster and ignition lock problems

Hi,

I have a 1991 e34 which I am very happy with, except for a couple of
problems.

1. for a couple of days, the ignition lock seemed a bit notchy, then
yesterday, the lock refused to turn past the position where the steering lock
comes off. Any ideas how to fix this?

2. my fual guage has never worked, permanantly stuck at empty. I have shorted
out the sender pins, and when I do this, the guage only goes up to 1/4
position. I have seem pages on the net that mention changing capacitors, but
my instrument cluster looks different. I do not have a large computer screen
LCD, only a LCD/LED mileage readout type instrument cluster. Anyone know if
replacing the capacitors is likely to be a fix for my car?

All the best

Jon