Re: [bmw] Re: E30 dead

Hi Guys,

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, bmw-digest wrote:
> From: John Bolhuis <bolhuijo@domain.elided>
> Subject: [bmw] Re: E30 dead
>
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Matt Brannock wrote:
>
> > > Yesterday my daughters 91 325i, automatic, running fine. Today, won't
> > start.
> > > When key is turned, all indicator lights come on, but no sound from
> > > engine/starter at all. As if battery was disconnected, except for
> > indicator lights. Any
> > > suggestions on where to look first? Thanks.
>
>  I had an e21 ignition switch fail.  Just the starter part of it.  I
> ended up wiring a small red button from radio shack into the steering
> column.  Turn the key on, press button to start.  :)
>  Or it could be the starter.

Yes, I'd personally suspect something electrical. I've never had this
happen in my E30, but I have had it happen in several other cars...

> Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:26:49 -0500
> From: "John R. McWilliams" <mcwilliamsdc@domain.elided>
> Subject: [bmw] E30 dead
>
> You said it's an automatic - is it in Park or Neutral?  Don't laugh - it's
> happened!

And in particular, check the neutral-safety switch - this is a very common
failure.  I've had them fail in automatics and in manuals (some manuals,
not BMWs, do have these on the clutch).  You can turn the key to the start
position, and try rocking the shifter slightly to see if the switch will
engage.  Catastrophic failures (like goes perfectly one day and won't
crank the next) do tend to be something electrical like this.

Scott