Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:10:02 +0000
From: john <j.s.smith@domain.elided>
Subject: [bmw] New battery failed?

Sorry for this long post...

My '89 E30 325i failed to start last night - flat battery :-(
The thing is I bought the battery new from a BMW shop only 6 weeks ago, to replace the existing
battery which had been in the car for 7 years! My problem is now that I don't know whether this new
battery has actually failed in some way - or is there a fault on the car. btw I only replaced the old
battery because that ran flat too.

What I have done so far:

1) Measured the current drain with ignition OFF and everything electrical in sight turned off. The
current was about 2mA so I think that's ok

2) Measured the battery terminal voltage with engine running at 1000 rpm and most every electrical
thing turned ON. The reading was 13.4 volts - so looks good to me.

3) The red battery lamp on the dash goes out as normal when I start the car so I *guess* is charging
the battery?

The way the battery went flat is also strange... I used the car the previous evening, no problems. It
was standing overnight, weather was warm. Next evening it was completely flat.

Also, the new battery is a sealed type and has a led indicator built into it. The label says
green=ok, black (no light)= needs charging yellow= replace battery. I've had this thing on charge
for 10 hours and led is still off - although the battery voltage is 12.4V and I can take take several
amps from it to drive a latge test lamp.

Is there an easy and reliable way to tell the charging current when engine running?

I don't want to look a right idiot by taking the battery back and then them telling me it's ok - so
would appreciate some help with this.

Thanks

ps When I bought this battery from BMW it had a minor scuff mark on the side and wasn't in any kind
of box - I just had the feeling maybe it had been lying around a while. Also the labelling on it says
it's sell-by date is 4th April 04. Mmm