[bmw] WTB early E36

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 12:47:59 -0600
>From: "T S Perez" <tspst1300@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: [bmw] WTB early E36
>
>I believe there is a big difference between the '92 and '93 engines.
The former has a belt for the cam drive.  Later engines used a >chain.
The engine is the interference type - break the belt and you break the
head - and maybe the pistons.  Also the newer >
>engines gained the VANOS for cam drive.

The 92 325i 4dr or 2dr has the chain drive cams. The 92 325i convertible
is still the old style (E30) and has the belt driven cam.
The 92 does not have VANOS (variable cam timing), the 93 and later do.
I have a 92, and there's a few problems endemic to the older E36s:
- The vinyl trim on the door can shrink from the plastic molding,
causing bubbles to appear. Cosmetic only.
- The early ones (maybe 95 and earlier?) have a plastic impeller in the
water pump. Eventually this will break, causing a potential overheat.
The replacement water pumps have metal impellers, no problems there.
- There's been reports of the plastic water-carrying "neck" of the
radiator breaking in older E36s.
- There are some problems with the sunroof over time.
- The rear deck lid (the cover just behind the rear seats) gets loose
and rattles. Easily fixed with some padding of some kind.
- At some point BMW went to standard pre-wiring for the CD changer. My
10/91 build 1992 did not have it, so I had to run the wire myself. Not
sure when that became standard.

That's what comes to mind, I'm sure you'll hear more.

Overall they are quite good, but if you can look for a 93 that would be
a little better. On the other hand, a well cared for 92 will be better
than a neglected 93. If you are in BMWCCA check out the classifieds,
those cars are usually loved. Even if you are not in there you can see
the classifieds online after a short delay. The resale value seems to
have dropped quite a bit in the last year, so you can get a pretty good
car for not too much money.

You can tell if the car has been in a serious accident by inspecting the
body panels. Major panels (fenders, doors, trunk lid, hood) have a
sticker with the VIN on it. Replacements have a sticker that says DOT-R.
I'm not sure when BMW moved to this, but my 92 has these (and one DOT-R
fender) so anything you would check out would have this. Being in an
accident doesn't necessarily disqualify a car, but can be a negotiation
point.

Good luck
Greg