[bmw] RE: bmw-digest V10 #175

Stephen,

The odometer is electronic, and driven by an electrical motor, and has a
bunch of plastic gears inside.

The odometer of my '85 535i went south about a year ago. On inspection,
I found a plastic gear had disintegrated, cracking apart radially
through the valleys of several of its teeth. This gear is a link to the
electric motor that drives the odometer. I solved the problem by buying
a whole instrument cluster off eBay, for about $25.00. I simply popped
it in, but changing the gear would have been relatively easy with simple
tools. Changing the instrument cluster is also pretty simple: you tackle
a couple of screws on the underside of the dashboard top, and pull down
and out the whole cluster from the top. Then you tackle a bunch of
harnesses and connectors, the majority of which are color-coded.

The interesting thing about this story is that, about six months ago,
the same thing happened with my '85 318i. I haven't checked this, but I
bet it's the same problem.

Best regards,

David Morales
Nashville, TN