[bmw] re: Dead Odometer

Stephen asks
>The odometer on my '87 L6 has stopped working.  All the other gauges work,
>including the speedometer and the trip computer.  Are odometers of this
>vintage mechanical devices connected via a cable or electrical devices?
Does
>anyone have any repair ideas before I tear the dash apart?

since early 80's BMW uses an electronic sensor in the rear differential
(right side) to run odo/speedo.. and the instrument cluster is not too hard
to remove.. but I don't know about the actual gears driving the little
numbers or how they work (although I don't think this is particularly
uncommon in older cars)

Chris Pawlowicz