[bmw] E34 key question

I have a 1994 540i (E34). Bought it used and was given only one key (two
button key with one that open and the other that closes the doors etc.).
Having read someplace that most of the remote locking BMW keys can be
used with other cars (with programming) I purchased a 3 button key (think
it was originally for a 3 series) with the plan to use the remote part
for my key (not of course using the actual key part).

Well having received the key no matter what I try in respect to
programming the key
 - unlock car with the key
- put original key in ignition and turn to position 1
- for the new key, press button A and hold while pressing button B 3
times (light on the key should flash for 10 seconds) - it does
 - then press any button and the doors should lock indicating that the
 key has been programmed

Well the last step never happens

Anybody with any ideas before I head out and get a full replacement key?

Thanks

Larry
--
  Laurence Chiu