[bmw] removing pine tar?

Hi folks,
So I fixed the variable speed control in my 635. It turns out it was a bad
power transistor, and was easily replacable. (Believe it or not, I actually
had the exact replacment in my tool box, from my days as a controls
engineer!). So thanks for the tips to all of those that replied!

On a somewhat simpler note, does anyone have advice for removing pine tar from
paint? I tried using paint thinner (which worked great, but also removed most
of the wax, and appeard to remove some of the clear coat as well). Luckily, I
tried it on a "test spot" before going to far).

Thanks in advance for any thoughs!
Barton