[bmw] Re: bmw-digest V10 #171

In a message dated 1/25/04 5:50:17 PM Mountain Standard Time,
owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided writes:
have been having an intermittent problem with loss of acceleration
and the other day while the car was idling I heard a clunking sound
from under the trunk. Could this be the main fuel pump failing
intermittently?
Fred Says
It could well be. The car will operate without the feed pump in the gas tank
but the car will cut out under hard acceleration. The pressure pump has been
known to cut out for a second or two before resuming, resulting in a feeling of
the car engine stopping then starting. Eventually it will just quit. I don't
know how to test for this though.