[bmw] bulb warning rear tail lights

My 1998 E39 528i has had the rear tail light warning on without any bulbs being burned out. This happened to me several years ago and I finally replaced the assembly. Speaking with the parts department of my dealer brought out some suggestions (which have not panned out ). They suggest that a bulb may set off the warning even though it burns because of different current draws and perhaps a problem with the sockets. I have replaced and exchanged bulbs to no avail. Also tried cleaning the contacts

Have others had this problem? Anyone know of information from BMW that might shed some light? Do both assemblies have to be replaced?

Len Schloff