[bmw] muffler problems '86 535i

Ned asks
>I have an old, weathered 1986 535i that has been encountering a number of
problems in
> its old age. Back in early August, I lost the rear muffler on it. I
ordered what i thought
>was the replacement, but found that I had ordered the center muffler, which
was still on
>my car. I neglected to get the necessary part and recently, about 2 weeks
ago, the
>center muffler fell off. So now I have this part
> http://www.autopartsauthority.com/mufflers/bmw~535i_(e28)~parts.html (3rd
down)
>and I'm assuming that I need the first part on that page to go along with
the one I have to
>make the complete set, but I wanted to check with you to make sure. Any
ideas?

ned, you are sort of correct, you do indeed need both the centre and the
rear (and you already have the centre).. originally on your car it came as
both sections together in one big piece, but because people often only need
just the rear, they split up the replacements parts so you can buy just the
part you want

on the webpage you showed, the first part says 'euro only' - the last part
is the US 535i  rear.. get that and you should be all set

they use a slip joint to clamp together (ask them if they include the clamp)
and you might get new rubber donuts for hanging the system from your car
(yours are probably lost or falling apart). Also nuts and bolts and a new
seal for the flanged connection.

chris