[bmw] <E30> 325iC Power Door Locks

I have a 1988 325iC and lately, the power door locks have been acting funny. When I shut off the engine after driving, both doors lock themselves. If I quickly turn the key back to the "on" position (without starting the car), the doors will sometimes then unlock and will not lock again when I turn the key back to off.

Previously, the locks did nothing at all in relation to ignition switch position or operation.

What are the power locks supposed to be doing in relation to the ignition switch, when working correctly?

Thanks,

Steven
strujillo@domain.elided