[bmw] No "whirring sound " coming from in tank FP on 85 528e.

Hi all,
I just tested the main fuel relay as well as the fuel pump relay by
jumping pins 30 and 87 according to the Haynes manual. It noted that
there should be a "whirring sound" coming from the trunk area (in tank
FP) once the key was turned, but I get no sound at all. I also do not
get this sound when the relays are replaced either. Once the car is
running at idle it sound s like it is humming, but once I start to
drive it loses acceleration completely at intermittent times. Any
thoughts?
Thanks,
Lee M
85 528e