[bmw] 2002 X5 3.0i "Service Engine Soon"

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone could help me understand what may be the problem
before I head to the dealership.

Tonight as I was idling in park outside of a store (waiting for my wife),
the "Service Engine Soon" light illuminated (not flashing) and then the
engine began to idle "rough" and felt as if it was going to stall. We then
drove home (a few miles) but there was noticeable loss of power; as if one
of the cylinders wasn't firing.

After getting home and looking over the engine compartment (w/ engine off)
and not seeing anything out of the ordinary, I restarted the vehicle and
drove it around the neighborhood. The "service light" was still illuminated
but I now had all the power back in the engine (and no rough idle).

I'm not sure if this is related to sub-zero temperatures vehicle was sitting
outside in last few days... any ideas what may be wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Bill