Re: [bmw] OT.. Shipping Help..

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron J" <ron@domain.elided>

> ...Sorry for the cross post.. I am in a bit of a dilemma.. I am
> shipping a set of 4 wheels and tires (17") in a crate from
> Toronto Canada, to Indianaopolis Indiana..  the Crate is
> 36x24x24 and is about 150lbs or so.. I tried calling fedex
> ground, as well as UPS and they said the package dimensions
> are too big for them.  Fedex priority said they would handle
> it but it would be $500 to ship it.. So that is out of the question.

UPS and FedEx are set up for smaller packages than that.  This
must be the reason that Tire Rack et al. ship only one or two
tires/wheels together.

You also have potential import issues to deal with.

You need to either find a trucking/freight company (phone book,
I guess) or break this up into smaller packages.  In case you
didn't know, you can get onto the UPS web site and get
estimates of shipping charges.  Probably also for FedEx.  You
can play with different package sizes/numbers and figure whether
this option works.

FWIW, when I've gotten shipments of wheels with mounted tires,
they always came with round pieces of cardboard strapped to their
faces with the tire tread exposed.  As long as you document the
condition prior to shipping and pay the extra couple of bux for
insurance, they should be covered at replacement value if there is
shipping damage, given that they accepted the packaging.

Good Luck,
Mike Kohlbrenner