[bmw] Hot radio

I have recently acquired a 97 328i with the stock cassette AM/FM radio (not
the Harmon-Kardon upgrade.) I have noticed that the radio gives off a large
amount of heat to the point that I am worried that cassettes might melt or
at least deform if left in the tape carrier for a long period of time with
the radio on.  I don't recall this being an issue with my previous 96 328i
which had the same radio/cassette.  The radio and tape player work at this
time, but is this a failure waiting to happen (or worse:  a dashboard fire)?
If so, is there a cheap fix or a reasonably priced upgrade/replacement
radio/CD changer available that would power all existing six speakers?  The
salesmen at the local Circuit City wanted to replace not only the reciever
but the speakers as well.

Howie
97 328i
91 318is

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of Howard Kohn.vcf]