Re: [bmw] 540i tires and other parts

"T S Perez" <tspst1300@domain.elided> wrote:

> I have a 1994 540iA.  Is my only choice on tires the stock
> 225-60 15's or there a recommended upgrade in size and still
> use the stock 15 inch wheels?

My '92 535i uses the same size...

There really isn't much of a choice to move up in size in
15", especially using the stock wheels.  You are limited
by two things.  First, the 7" width of the wheels is a bit
narrow for anything over 225.  Wider wheels would be nice
even for the stock tire size.  The other thing is simply
that there isn't any sort of selection of wider tires in
15" that are anywhere close to the same outside diameter
as stock.

There isn't even much of a selection of the better performance
tires in the stock size any longer as even econoboxes are
coming equipped with 16" wheels these days.  It is absurd
in my eyes, but that is what the market is demanding.

I guess this is a good time to ask what your real goals
are.  If you are interested in getting the best performance
possible out of your stock wheels, then my recommendation
is to simply spend the bux to get the best tires available
in the stock size.

If you are willing to consider an upgrade to 16", your
options really open up.  You can do either 225/55/16 or
245/50/16 (preferably on 8" wide wheels), both of which
have wide selections at decent prices.

This latter option is where I'm likely going to be heading.
I figure that I'll try to find a set of those nice 16 x 8
7-series takeoffs folks are getting rid of so they can
mount 28" wheels.  The 5-series wheels are another good
option, but they are typically 7".

> And question number 2.... where can I purchase the trim and
> rubber seals that run around the door opening?

My only suggestion is BMA.  They have a nice relationship
with the www.bmwE34.net website (which is certainly worth a
look!) and have really decent prices.

http://www.bmaautoparts.com/

Regards,