[bmw] Re: bmw-digest V10 #133

Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 13:35:35 -0500
From: "Gerry Phillips" <gphill03@domain.elided>
Subject: [bmw] Torque wrench

Hello all,

I am in the process of purchasing a wheel and tire package from the Tire Rack
and I wanted to get some general information on torque wrenches.  I was a credit
card swipe away from purchasing a torque wrench this past weekend from Pep Boys
while I was down in Florida.  I'm considering buying one because I'll be putting
my new wheels and tires on the car next week. I wanted to know how beneficial
they are compared to the wrench that came stock with my '89 535i.  I know that
once the torque wrench is set correctly, you can't over tighten the lug nuts,
thus making them unnecessarily hard to get off.  Am I correct on this?  Any
other benefits?  What is the correct torque setting for the '89 535i?  Your help
is greatly appreciated.   Peace and blessings!

The main benefit of using a torque wrench is you tighten the wheel nuts to
specifications.  Wheel nuts that are tighten above BMW's specifications are a
well known caused of wrapped rotors and reoccurring calliper problems.  I went
through  three sets of rotors before, I figured out the problem.  My mechanic
had no idea what the specifications are for wheel nuts.

John

Gerry A. Phillips
BMWCCA Peachtree Chapter
'89 535i