[bmw] Torque wrench

Hello all,

I am in the process of purchasing a wheel and tire package from the Tire
Rack and I wanted to get some general information on torque wrenches.  I
was a credit card swipe away from purchasing a torque wrench this past
weekend from Pep Boys while I was down in Florida.  I'm considering buying
one because I'll be putting my new wheels and tires on the car next week.
I wanted to know how beneficial they are compared to the wrench that came
stock with my '89 535i.  I know that once the torque wrench is set
correctly, you can't over tighten the lug nuts, thus making them
unnecessarily hard to get off.  Am I correct on this?  Any other benefits?
 What is the correct torque setting for the '89 535i?  Your help is
greatly appreciated.   Peace and blessings!

Gerry A. Phillips
BMWCCA Peachtree Chapter
'89 535i
'87 325is