[bmw] Speaking of seats

Barton asks
>Hey folks, speaking of seats, the motorized seats in my '85 635csi have
some problems. The >snip--
>functioning head rest hight adjustment). All of the motors seem to turn,
but for several of them (on >each seat), their engagement is completely
failing. Thoughts?

a very common problem for these cars.. do a web search for the solution
because I think it's fairly straightforward to open up the seat and fix this
(sorry, can't think of the solution off hand)

>being made) the fan WILL come on full blast. It just no longer comes on at
any intermediate speed.

unless the E28 is way different than other bmws of that era, it's the 'fan
speed resisitor' which is burned out.. first 3 speeds go through varying
resistors, full speed goes straight through (and doesn't usually die)

it's about $20 to replace, not that difficult (on my e30 it is located
underneath the wipers next to the fan blower motor.. undo a few trim panels
and pop it out)

the squealing fan is a separator problem, the squirrel cage fan might just
need a squirt of lubricant (do it when you're swapping out the resistor
pack)

Chris Pawlowicz
Stebro Stainless Performance Exhaust
http://cpcperformance.com