[bmw] Sigma alarm remote HELP pse

OK the battery is gone in "spare" the remote for one of my
E34s 1996. Its the type that you must also press AFTER turning the
ignition on to release the immobiliser. Sigma I think 48GBP
for a replacement unit that needs reprogramming.

I have attempted to fit a new battery but I am informed it needs
reprogramming
to the car or other remote.  Can ANYONE offer any advice as one of the kids
went to school with the only active remote for "her car" and I anticipate a
little
domestic grief this evening!!!

On another note one of MY KEYS has stopped releasing the immobiliser
on my E34 also 1996.
I am using the spare key for that one too.
If I release the immobiliser if fires up with the suspect key unless
I wait the 9 seconds for the immobiliser to drop in.
Is the death of key chips common or even known?

Thanks
Garry
g.grigg@domain.elided
ggrigg@domain.elided