[bmw] Re: bmw-digest V10 #128

Don,

I'm not specifically familiar with the alternator on the 535i, but unless the
bearings are rolled into the castings, it should be as easy as disassembling
the alternator, removing the bearing retainer, and pulling the old one out.
Reverse the above to reassemble (LOL).

There's a lot of variability in remanufactured/rebuilt alternators.   At a
minimum, there should be new wear parts (bearings, brushes and possibly slip
rings and pulley), and ideally new electronics (rectifier especially, and
possibly regulator), plus anything else that failed replaced.   Unfortunately, with
the price pressures in the market, there's a lot of temptation for rebuilders
to cut corners....   Typically, the longer the warranty, the higher the
percentage of new parts.

HTH,

Martin Bullen
'95 M3