[bmw] 95 M3 Oil Filter Housing

I recently had some routine maintenence done on my 95 M3, which now has
~67,000 miles on it.
When they replaced the oil filter they noticed some loose metal pieces.
Apparantly there are a couple of valves contained within the oil filter
housing and one or both of these valves broke.
The dealer was not entirely sure what the purpose of these valves is but
speculated that if the filter was to become too restrictive to the oil
flow that the valves provide a bypass around the filter.

Question #1:  Can anyone confirm the purpose of these valves for me?
Question #2:  Anyone have an idea what may cause this failure?

The dealer quoted me ~$700.00 for both parts and labor to replace the
oil filter housing (of which ~$500 is for parts) - yikes!

Since this is my "fair weather" driver and I was planning on garaging
the M3 for the winter I told the dealer not to fix it and that I would
look for a used part over the course of the next few months.

Question #3: Any reason that I should not consider a used part in this
specific instance?
Question #4: Anyone have a 95 M3 (or equivalent) that is being salvaged
and want to sell the oil filter housing?
Question #5: Can anyone here make any recommendations for vendors of
used parts for my M3?

According to the dealer, I need the following parts:
qty-1:  11421738639
qty-1:  11421719855
qty-2:  32411129986

Please forward responses to me directly at  shabakus@domain.elided