[bmw] Winter Driving

Bryan says
>My mechanic suggested that I add some weight to my trunk this winter to
>make it easier to drive on the ice and snow. He claims a lot of people do
>this, and use sandbags to add extra weight.

while this was a common tradition (and still is for people with pick-ups),
it is probably not a necessary or useful thing to do in your bmw

old RWD american cars and even modern pick-ups are front-heavy.. so adding
extra weight to the rear helped get a bit more traction to the rear wheels

your BMW is almost perfectly balanced 50/50 and adding weight to the back,
while helping a bit with traction, can also detract from steering response
and change how the car handles (make it worse).

It probably doesn't make a big difference either way. If you do put extra
weight back there, make sure it's well secured. Having heavy loads sliding
around in the trunk will definitely mess up the handling!

The right way to drive in winter conditions is with 4 snow tires. If you are
just 'passing through' or will only see mild winters, all seasons are 'ok'.

hope this helps

Chris Pawlowicz
Stebro Stainless Performance Exhaust
http://cpcperformance.com