Re: [bmw] Winter Driving

At 02:50 PM 10/25/2003 -0700, Bryan Duplechain wrote:

Is this pretty common for rear-wheel drive cars?
[Sandbags in the trunk] Sure, it's a time honored practice. It is rare to see nowadays, since rear wheel drive cars aren't the majority.

How effective is it?
It helps the back tires bite slightly more effectively, thus giving you slightly more acceleration and preventing the back end from coming around in turns. In my opinion, modern traction controls are significantly more useful.

There is little disadvantage. You have slightly worse gas mileage since you're dragging around a couple of hundred of pounds of extra weight and the loss of trunk space.

And finally, if I were to drive from Nebraska back to Texas during the
winter, would I need to relocate the weight in the trunk for the more
temperate roads?
No. Doesn't exactly make the car as sporty lugging around a couple of extra pounds like that, but it doesn't hurt anything.

- Matt