[bmw] Holly 4 bbl on big 6, was Re: EI questions & suggestions.

Gregory,
For a carburetor, I recall there is a Holly 4 bbl that was a common conversion, possibly around 450cfm? Anyone on the digest know more about this?
The Mallory coil model is called the Voltmaster. There is also a Racemaster for sustained high RPM operation.
The NGK wires I used had 5 straight plug connectors and one angled one. The angled one was just right for plug number 6. Any set that fits will be ok.
Great pictures, looks like a sweet 5'er. That front spoiler w/integrated turn signals gives a unique look to the car but seems too rare to go vintage racing with. If you have those pics on a website, please post the link for others to see car you're working on. With euro bumpers, the spoilers, and //M striping all around it really is sweet looking.

Barry

Gregory Bradbury wrote:

Thanks Barry, great hints & tips.

I'm gunna (first) try:

a) EI conversion
b) NGK wires (there are two sets from NGK for the 280Z, which part number should I use?)
c) NGK plugs (which once works for std EI and/or with a hotter coil). This engine is 9:1 so 6 heat range should be good.
d) Mallory coil (what part number is on your car? I assume it would also work with standard Bosch EI).

Then I'll experiment with timing (std), more mechanical advance, disable retard (a BB in the vacuum line does the trick and looks stock), etc.

Then (naturally) I need to find a Weber conversion, as factory Zenith's don't last forever. I'm hunting on the CCA ads and ebay, I hope to get lucky.

I'll send a few pictures as well.

Any more ideas??

Greg