[bmw] 528e ignition switch question

Pam (?or is that the car?) sez
>I have an '83 528e with an ignition switch problem:
>My friends guess is that the contacts for the start are bad, I'm having to
>jiggle the key a lot to get it to start. How do I get to the contacts to
try
>cleaning them?

>Alternately, can I run a wire from the diagnostic plug to install a start
>button? I heard that one connector might engage the starter motor, if this
>is true does anyone know which one?

once the car is started, does it run fine?
key has 4 positions
0- off
1- accessory on
2- ignition on (normal place for driving the car)
3- start (only turn here when making the starter turn over)

if you are having problems with '3' (not uncommon in an older car), you can
get a new ignition switch ($$) OR like you thought, install a start button.
(if you are having problems with '2', your only choice is a new switch)

No need to dig in the diagnostic plug, just fish out the wiring to the
ignition switch under the steering column, find the wire for 'start'  and
splice into them.

Wire the 'start' wire through a nice big red pushbutton switch mounted
somewhere handy, and you're off to the races.

I did this on my '81 320i and it worked great. Just like a ferrari ;)

Check your owners manual (older ones often had electrical diagrams) or try
and find a shop manual for the correct wires.

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i, '99 z3 2.8, '74 2002