[bmw] 528e ignition switch question

Help!

I have an '83 528e with an ignition switch problem:

My friends guess is that the contacts for the start are bad, I'm having to
jiggle the key a lot to get it to start. How do I get to the contacts to try
cleaning them?

Alternately, can I run a wire from the diagnostic plug to install a start
button? I heard that one connector might engage the starter motor, if this
is true does anyone know which one?

Or is there something else I should try?

If anyone can offer any answers, or any other suggestions, I'd really
appreciate it.

TIA,

Pam 83 528e ~175k & David 84 318i (2.0l) 245k