[bmw] e-36) aftermarket seats & engine noise

The seats in my '94 325is are starting to wear and I am considering
upgrading them. I don't see much discussion on the digest or other BMW
forums about aftermarket seats.  Are there issues with replacing OEM
seats that make it wiser to stick to the factory seats?

On another issue, I have begun to notice some engine compartment noise
after the starting it from cold.  It sounds like chain slack noise.  Is
there a time frame for replacing the timing chain?  What about the VANOS
drive system?  I hear that it is prone to noise with normal wear, but
that is something that can be lived with.  The engine is 122 K miles
young and going strong otherwise.  Is timing chain or VANOS repair
suitable for DIY or is this better left to experienced mechanics?

TIA
Peter Rossato
'94 325is
BMW-CCA Gateway Ch (St. Louis MO)