[bmw] 1983 533i upgrades

Hi everyone,

I just sold my 85 volvo turbo wagon to my neighbors and am in the
process of purchasing an 83 533i to work on.  I'd appreciate some help
trying to decide what I want/need to do to it while it's in the garage
(probably for the whole winter- rear and front main seals are leaking,
clutch is contaminated, no heat...)

1) At some point someone stuck an M badge on this thing, and the
consensus on the web is that there was no M533i in 1983; the badge is
faded pretty good, so it was some time ago.  There's the possibility
that a previous owner actually upgraded some stuff (besides the
badge!), but I don't know what to look for or how to distinguish M-ish
parts from the standard ones.  Can someone tell me or point me
somewhere that documents what might differentiate a late-80s Msomething
from a standard 533i?  Also, how can I tell the difference between
parts?  (there's no big "M30" stamped on the engine, for example!)

2) While I'm in there, what are some favorite upgrades that would apply
to this car?  (I'm not interested in cosmetic stuff right now, though.
 I'm already partial to Bilsteins from the Volvo list and have this
thing with headlights- my Volvo headlights were awful!)

Thanks in advance!

- Brian
  b2ian@domain.elided
  Fort Collins, CO, USA