Re: [bmw] suspn leveling

"ken merrill" <vincent52@domain.elided> wrote:
> Why, oh why does my 92 535i keep flashing "suspn leveling ... consult
> owner's manual" at me? OK, so I can read the non-information in the
> owner's manual, but I have nothing in the trunk. The message goes away
> after a while, but it keeps coming back? Should I worry? More than
> normal, I mean ... this is my third week of ownership. Happy motoring.

Ken,
Some E34 (notably all M5s) had self-leveling hydraulic suspension. While
an interesting idea, the systems were very costly and not particularly
durable. The only economical solution to fixing _any_ of its components is
to throw all of them out and install traditional shocks/springs. Dinan
sells an E34 kit that I've heard is one popular packages solution. There
are probably other less expensive alternatives out there as well.
After the E34 and other high-end makers' late 80s/early 90s self-leveling
suspension fiascos, BMW had abandoned the concept ... that is until it got
resurrected with the latest 7.
alex f