Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 00:44:40 -0400
From: "Gil Thereault" <giln1oiw@domain.elided>
Subject: RE: [bmw] E28 535is - Noise from rear during shifts

I have been experiencing the same problem. I'm hearing the clunking noise
coming from the right rear side of the car when starting out in first gear.

There is no noise if I let the clutch out easily and it is only heard in
first gear.  I in my situation the fiirst thing I did was to replace the
center support bearing and the little bushing at the front of the
driveshaft.  I just recent replaced the dogbone looking bushings as they
were seeing better days. The noise still remains and I have been learning
live with it for the time being. Perhaps I did not secure the center bear
without the proper tension.  I put some tension on it when securing it but
not overly tight. I have been told that the problem could be the large
subframe bushings.  Any more ideas on this subject please advise.   This
medium has yet to be by the best resource so please keep up the great work.

I do read all the threads.

86 535i  186K
Gil

It is most likely the Driveshaft Center Support  Bearing

Bob Van Epps
Van Epps Motorsports
954-741-0990
954-572-3766 Fax

My
 > initial suspicion was a cv joint but I crawled under the car this
 > past weekend
 > and the driveshaft and the rear halfshafts have minimal play.  Now I am
 > suspecting one of the rear suspension bushings, none of which
 > look to be in
 > all that great a condition.  The worst seems to be the passenger side
rear
 > axle carrier bushing (the large one that connects to the push
 > strut).  Could
 > this be it?  Any tricks to replacing it?  I am debating going ahead a
 > replacing both rear axle carrier bushings, all four trailing arm
 > bushings and
 > the small bushings where the trailing arms connect to the rear
 > axle carrier.
 > Seems like a big job but I only want to do this once.
 >
 > Thanks for your help
 >
 > Jason Gange
 > --
 > to be removed from bmw, see /bin/digest-subs.cgi

Confidentiality Message
This e-mail message is confidential and is intended for the exclusive use
of the addressee. Any other person is strictly prohibited from disclosing,
distributing or reproducing it. If the addressee cannot be reached or is
unknown to you, please inform the sender by return e-mail immediately and
delete this e-mail message and destroy all copies. Thank you.

Avis de confidentialiti
Ce message, transmis par courriel, est confidentiel et est ` l'usage
exclusif du destinataire ci-dessus. Toute autre personne est par les
prisentes avisie qu'il lui est strictement interdit de le diffuser, le
distribuer ou le reproduire. Si le destinataire ne peut jtre joint ou vous
est inconnu, veuillez informer l'expiditeur par courrier ilectronique
immidiatement et ditruire ce message et toute copie de celui-ci. Merci.