[bmw] klunk in rear

On my 735i, it was the big bushing that holds the subframe to the body..try jacking that around with a prybar.

This is one way to change it.

Undo the nut on the carry thru bolt, remove the torque tie bar, and push the big bolt into the car with an impact hammer.

Drill a big hole in the rubber bushing, and fit a sawzall blade into the hole, cut thru the od of the metal part of the bushing, and all the rubber and remove the rubber and ID metal, being careful not to cut the carrier part in the subframe. drive a chisel in between the od of the bushing and the subframe bore, crush it inwards some, and pull out the whole mess. (Alternatively, rent the factory tool from Brett http://www.koalamotorsport.com) .... this might be easier, but I'm not patient..

Block the subframe away from the body and then press in the bushing with a bottle jack.

Good Luck, it worked for me.. about 5 hrs for both sides on my 88 735.

Dave Leonard