[bmw] re: e30 Touring Wagon

Monty Hogan <monty.hogan@domain.elided> asked

> Does anybody out there know how I can get my hands on an
> e30 wagon (preferably the 325i model), whether it be
> finding one here in the States, or bringing one over
> from Europe?

AFAIK there are around three of these in the united states. i know jeff
krause has one in indianapolis, i'm not sure where the others are. there
is a very cool, hand-built E30 M3 wagon in texas somewhere too.

if you have deep pockets, you can probably buy one of these (at least
$13-$15k). barring that you'll need to bring one over from europe, which
could probably cost you $5k-$8k on top of the price of the car. the
conversion needs to be done by a registered shop (you can't do it
yourself). there's more information about this on the NHTSA website,
www.nhtsa.gov. also, search around online for the guy who brought over
the E30 M3 convertible, he has a great article on his site about the
hell he went through bringing that one over. the article was also in the
roundel a year or two ago.

> > some direction in acquiring a late 80s or early 90s 3- or
> 5-series wagon with STANDARD transmission would be helpful...

the E34 5 series wagon was never sold in the US with a standard
transmission. there are some converted cars available (and a few
imported E34 M5 wagons with manual trannys), but they're as hard to find
as the E30 wagons. my suggestion would be to pick up a nice E34 wagon in
your favorite color, and with the options you want, and have it
converted. brett anderson of koala motorsport (www.koalamotorsport.com)
in ohio has done a number of conversions. i doubt i'll get an argument
if i say he's one of the best at it.

m.

1993 BMW 525iTA
1990 Honda Civic Si