[bmw] E28 535is - Noise from rear during shifts

My 1987 535is with 160,000 miles has been making a clunking noise at the rear
of the car.  Happens when the clutch is released, worst when starting from a
stop.  Seems like slack is being taken up somewhere in the driveline.  My
initial suspicion was a cv joint but I crawled under the car this past weekend
and the driveshaft and the rear halfshafts have minimal play.  Now I am
suspecting one of the rear suspension bushings, none of which look to be in
all that great a condition.  The worst seems to be the passenger side rear
axle carrier bushing (the large one that connects to the push strut).  Could
this be it?  Any tricks to replacing it?  I am debating going ahead a
replacing both rear axle carrier bushings, all four trailing arm bushings and
the small bushings where the trailing arms connect to the rear axle carrier.
Seems like a big job but I only want to do this once.

Thanks for your help

Jason Gange