Re: [bmw] Buying an 88 735i - what to watch out for

> I have a friend who is considering buying a 1988 735i. The car has
> 105k miles and checks out on Carfax. It is a 5 speed manual. This
> will be my friends first BMW so I would like him to have a good
> experience. He has driven it and is very favorably impressed. He
> will be buying it from a used car dealer, so no maintenance
> history. I have owned many BMWs but never an E32 7 series, so have
> no personal experience to rely on. I do know the '88 is the first
> model year for the E32, so are there any particular weak
> points/problem areas that my friend should look for? Any advice
> would be greatly appreciated

   Be sure to check the air condition and ventilation system.   Early
models had trouble with small oil leak in the stepper motors which
eventually broke some plastic parts.   It that needs fixing its a
$2000-3000 repair job.

   Other than that, I have '88 735i with 5sp manual running on 210K
miles, and the engine is still strong with only the very minor leaks.
BTW, there are only 412 E32 7er with manual transmission, so if your
friend really wants a manual, there not many available.