[bmw] re:oil changes etc

ken says
>I just bought a 92 535i with 66K miles. After reading the owner's manual,
>am I to understand that the car will tell me when it needs an oil change?
>I've been a 3K guy for oil and filter change on my cars and am a little
>wary of waiting for the notice on my dash.

yes, the service interval lights will tell you when to change the oil- the
computer keeps track of cold starts/ hot starts/ engine rpm/ miles driven
etc and works it all out..

BUT most bmw nuts just do what they've always done on all their cars (3k
changes!) and ignore the damn lights :)

Bentley makes most of the good service manuals for BMWs- check out your
local bookstore, amazon, or some of the mail order places like bavarian
autosport. The manual will also give mileage intervals for other fluids.

Treat the BMW like you would your other nice cars and you're fine.

The newer BMWs use synthetic oil (from the factory) and extend the intervals
even more, and lots of us synthetics on the older stuff too.. but you won't
go wrong with good oil at reasonable intervals.

chris
'99 z3, '89 325i, '74 2002