[bmw] Re: bmw-digest V10 #65

On Thursday, August 28, 2003, at 06:17  PM, bmw-digest wrote:

Subject: e34 540i Suspension Woes

Well, not quite yet, but starting to have a disconcerting light
clunk/rattle in front suspension. Mostly noticeable over rough
pavement, but I can also hear by turning steering wheel back and
forth aggressively. My first thought is tie rod ends (I replaced
control arms/bushings (BavAuto combo), shocks (with Bilsteins) and
tie rod ends back in 99, 40,000+ miles ago). Are tie rod ends usually
the first to go?

Other thing, is a barely noticable "rotary" light grinding sound
(like wheel bearing) coming from right front, goes away on veer left,
returns on veer right. Usually goes away when braking, but not
always. Appeared before rotors/pads were replaced, still there after
replacement. Thought it was backing plate, but no backing plate
touching anything. How frequently do wheel bearings go on e34 540s?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Recommendations? Thanks!
The clunk coulb be tie rod ends or ball joints, you are right on track with the wheel bearing noise. I don't know about the e34s, but my 92 e36 has worn out six wheel bearings.

Hans