New BMW Owner - A Couple of Issues

I just recently purchased a '90 535i (My first BMW!) and there are a couple
of things I've noticed.

First, there is a noticeable clicking noise from the engine while running.
It's coming from the top rear of the engine, which I am guessing indicates
that the valves are in need of being readjusted.

Secondly;  The car starts a little hard (1 sec or so of turning over before
it starts).  I also noticed that when the car is on, there is a hissing
noise coming from the area of the fuel pump.  Is this itself indicative of a
problem?  And is there an easy way to check if the fuel pump is functioning
properly?

I'd just prefer not to pay someone to take a look at it only to find out
nothing is wrong.

Thanks
-Damon
1990 535iM 179,500