Re: brake rotor rusting

"ONeill, William" <William_ONeill@domain.elided> wrote:
> The front brakes on my E34 535i have (once again) rusted up so badly
> that I think they need resurfacing or replacing, despite being only
> about a year old.
>
> The car has been parked on my driveway in the elements for about two
> weeks, awaiting a new radiator, which is now installed.  Those of you
> in the NE know it's been very rainy and humid during that time. Brakes
> were fine before parking, but now are making lots of noise, and not
> stopping very well.  On all my other BMWs past and present, surface
> rust on the rotor has scraped off pretty completely after a few stops.
> In this case, no amount of brake pressure has been able to remove all
> the corrosion, and the brakes rumble pretty loudly every time I use them.

Brake harder!

> Question is, is it the rotors, pads, or the particular combination of
> rotor and pad?

Rotors are metal. That is unless you have upgraded to the big-buck
carbon-fiber or ceramic anchors.
They rust. All the time. While you are reading this email all of your
rotors are rusting. Try washing your car and leaving it in place for a
day. That's normal.
The surface rust will get removed via normal braking. If you had not
driven your car for a while, drive it slowly while dragging the brakes.
That will clear the rotor rust in a hurry.

HTH,
alex f