Mileage display is very dim

Need to change a little light bulb in the instrument cluster. There are
two of them, so you might as well do them both. I think they are about
2.25 each. There are two screws that hold the cluster in place on top in
the front. Remove these and then gently pry the cluster forward and then
downward. When you get it out a little bit, there will be three
harnesses that have a cam type locking mechanism. To free the cam, you
have to press right above where it locks on the back of the plug, then
the cam will be free to rotate and the plug will come off.
After all three harnesses are free, you can jimmy-jiggle-wiggle free the
cluster. The two bulbs do a little turn to come out and reverse to lock
them in place. That's about it, install is reversal.

This is what I did for my 95 M3, so I figure the 3 series are similar.
Don't know the year of your car, but I hope this helps. It really is the
15 minute job I always tell my wife I'm going to do, but never seem to
complete in an hour.

Regards, Frank

1995 M3