Re: [uuc] Secondary Air Pump...New Tire Question...Shocks?...Sway Bars?

"Joseph T. Baptista Jr." <jbaptista@domain.elided> wrote:
> Occasionally at start-up, it sounds like a cat is stuck in my engine
> compartment.  The noise appears to be coming from the secondary air
> pump. Has anyone had this problem?  How involved is the repair?

Joe,
Two things:
1. the secondary air pump valve on the exhaust manifold has failed and is
bleeding exhaust into the pump. As a result, water vapor is blowing into
the pump and corroding the hack out of it. Get a new $65 valve NOW!
2. your secondary air pump is corroding inside. Remove it ASAP and drain
the water out. It may or may not be too late to save the pump. I recently
had to replace one on my wife's car and the best deal was $143 from Pacific BMW (800-909-7278). Don't forget to buy a new gasket and mounts
(or be hyper careful removing the old $10/each mounts!).

> Second question, I need new tires for my 96 328i (Tire Size: 225 50
> R16) asap!  I live in New England but will never drive this car in
> the snow or ice.  I am looking for a performance tire with good ride
> quality and decent tread life.  I have no plans to be at the track,
> street-use only.

If money is no object, get new Michelin Pilot Sports or old Bridgestone
S02PP's.
Or any other tire recommended by TireRack's customers:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp

> Last question, I am looking to improve the performance handling of
> the car. I have no plans to install larger wheels so the need to
> install springs is limited, I think.  Should I go with sport shocks
> or sway bars?  If so, what does everyone recommend?

Do yourself a BIG favor and go to your local BMW CCA chapter's event
(meeting, autoX, DE, anything). Ask what other people have done to cars
like yours. Ask them for a test drive (most will gladly agree). Pick the
mods that please your butt and ignore all the internet pundits!
;-)

alex f