Re: Driver's seat

"Will Hartje" <WHartje@domain.elided> wrote:
> I am suffering from a common problem with my 1990 E30 325i, namely a
> badly twisted driver's seat back.
> It appears the main problem is in the adjustment mechanism at the hinge.

Will,
This is not unheard of, though hardly a common E30 problem. It's
occurrence is probably directly correlated to the owner's size and weight.
The problem is not in the adjustment hinge. Rather, the back of the seat
breaks and can be fixed by re-welding.

> I may be able to do major surgery on it to put it right, if not I
> need a replacement.

Used E30 seats should be pretty common.
Used E30 seats in good to excellent condition are rare.
Used leather E30 seats in decent condition are virtually nonexistent.

> The thought occured to me, if all US seats of this vintage have similar
> problems,

They do not.
My '89 325i had 230K miles when I sold it and the seats were fine.
I weight ~195#.

> finding a replacement will be tough, however, what if I went
> for a UK car passenger seat?

Too exotic.
If you can't or do not want to fix your current seat, I would look into
brand new aftermarket adjustable racing buckets.

alex f