Oil Leak and Overheating

Redscare  86 535i wrote:
>The other problem is overheating. When the AC is on it is more frequent, so
I jumped the aux fan switches and
>they worked fine. How do I check the temp switches that the jumped wires
operate? Could this also be a
>thermostat problem? Even if I am not using the AC I will overheat if I am
waiting in a long line of slow moving
>traffic.

Redscare,

I have an 84 533i that overheats.  I've been through every nook and cranny
that can be looked at including a new rad, tstat, fan clutch, pulled water
pump to inspect (its good),  new hoses, gounding switches to check the fans,
basically everything, and it still overheats.  AND, sporadically at that.
Makes no difference if the AC is on or not.

I've been told that I may have a cracked head that is causing exhaust gases
to be vented into the cooling system, causing air in the system and
resultant losss of circulation is causing the overheating.  A northern
Virginia local BMW shop said to plan on $3,000 to do the job right so it
sits until on the side of my house until such time I find the gumption to
pull the head myself.

Hope your stiuation is not as hopeless as mine.

Rich F
Burke, VA
83 533i w/103K miles
96 328i